It can be said that dogs are one of the most favorite pets because of their friendliness, intelligence, and loyalty. Although many people choose to adopt dogs, very few of us actually know and use dog whistles. So what is a dog whistle? Is it used to do? What are the pros and cons of using a dog whistle?
In this article, we will tell you what you should know about dog whistles. Please refer to our following article as this is what you are looking for. Come on, let’s get started.
What is a dog whistle?
A dog whistle, also known as the silent whistle or Galton’s whistle, was invented by Francis Galton in 1876. A type of whistle that emits an ultrasonic sound. Most dog whistles range between 23 and 54 kHz, which are within the human hearing range, but some other animals can still be heard, such as dogs and cats. Because of this, dog whistles are a commonly used tool, although not everyone who owns a dog needs it.
The dog whistles are designed with different types to suit every kind of dog. The commonly used material is plastic or metal (such as silver or aluminum).
What is the use of dog whistles?
Due to its sonic properties, it is used for dog training purposes.
When he blew the dog’s whistle, his ears only heard soft hissing sounds, hardly making any unpleasant noise. By this advantage of dog whistles, it can be used to order dogs without disturbing those around them. Some dog whistles have sliders for proactively adjusting the generated frequency. Instead of using a physical whistle, you can also use electronic dog whistles or digital whistles utilizing the app right on the smartphone itself.
The noise that a dog whistle makes is used to attract a dog’s attention. However, if you are thinking of excited dogs running around when they hear a whistle like an animation or a movie, it won’t be.
Dog training, like all training, will take some time for your dog to get used to it and form a reflex. But it is considered one of the most successful forms of communication between the owner and the dog when you want them to perform a specific action or task.
Advantages of dog whistles
1) Training to prevent behaviors by using dog whistles is a very effective way of dog training. Dog whistles give a signal that tells dogs not to do something that the trainer or owner doesn’t want.
2) Used for commanding training. This day means you can still blow the whistle to order your dog even if it’s at a distance because dog ears respond very well to hypersonic sounds.
3) Be comfortable setting, practicing, or adjusting your whistling commands and tactics with dogs. So you can create your own set of codes that only you and your dog can understand. This is quite useful in special situations like a thief who wants to control your dog.
4) As mentioned above, dog ears can hear all the sounds with frequency coming from dog whistles. However, you can still train your dog to only respond to your whistle, not someone else’s. This is ideal in special situations like a thief who wants to control your dog.
5) It is possible to use the whistle with hand commands at the same time to create an even more complex set of command languages. Alternatively, you can also combine the spoken command, followed by the whistle.
Disadvantages of dog whistles
1) The effectiveness of the training depends on the dogs. While some dogs do well with whistling commands, others do not respond, respond incorrectly, or respond very slowly. It may be that the pitch is not attractive enough for them, or it may be due to a dog whistle. If it is a silent horn, it may sound exactly within the optimal hearing range of a particular dog.
2) When used to issue a preventive action, the whistle may lapse after a period of use because your dog begins to be no longer afraid of the whistle. To improve, you can replace it with a different whistle or higher frequency to cause ear pain in the dog. Unfortunately, this is only a temporary solution because it will eventually lose its effectiveness in the future.
3) Dogs tend to be scared when they hear the whistle. Some dogs may overreact when you whistle. In extreme cases, the sound of dog whistles can bring your friend aversion, especially if it’s a very uncomfortable or even painful stimulus. For example, a dog with a high level of fear can run right into the house with dirty feet, or run wild with aches and pains from the ear.
4) As mentioned above, the whistle can connect the dog and the owner at a certain distance. However, you cannot use it as a warning or punishment signal when they are too far away.
Above is some information about dog whistles. A small whistle can become a useful tool to connect with your dog if you know how to use them. We hope that this article will provide you with useful knowledge about dog whistles. Have a beautiful day.